Common interview questions
This page presents some common interview questions for various roles or universities.
Interviews to psychology postgraduate courses
Interest in course and university
- Why do you want to specialize in this area of psychology (e.g., Clinical, Organizational)?
- Why do you want to enroll at this university?
- With which client groups would you most like to work?
- With which client groups would you feel most uncomfortable, such as sex offenders for example.
Knowledge of course and research
- How would you describe the role of a psychologist in this area?
- Can you describe the implications of your thesis in fourth year?
- Which research areas would you like to study for your thesis in this course?
- Specify some attributes and qualities that will enhance your performance in this course
- Specify some attributes and qualities that will enhance your performance in this area of psychology
- Specify some life experiences that will enhance your performance in this area of psychology
- What have you learned in the past, either in undergraduate or other sources, that are relevant to this course?
- What have you learned about yourself during the course or in the past?
Weaknesses and obstacles
- Specify some of your weaknesses.
- How have you addressed or managed these weaknesses in the past?
- How have you managed various difficulties, such as heavy workloads or criticisms, in the past?
- Do you feel you can help everyone?
- Should you ensure, and perhaps how should you ensure, sufficient distance between yourself and your clients
- How do you define success with clients?
- How do you define stability in life, at work, or in relationships?
- What role would you like after the course has ended?
- What role would you like in 5 or 10 years time?
- How would you respond if you were asked to act unethically at work or at placement?
- How would you respond if a client was experiencing a major crisis?
- Can you describe a previous instance in which you helped someone?
Administration and logistics
- Would you accept an offer only if you were offered a scholarship?
- How will you manage to support yourself financially?
- In which other courses have you applied--and how you will decide which course to select?